My internship with Aria is nearly over. Pretty soon I will be back to school for my final year of college. (Exciting!) But for now I am still enjoying immersing myself in the culture of Aria and this ever-growing industry.
The Internet of Things has been technology’s theme of the summer, and I have thoroughly enjoyed learning about its power and potential. I have noticed an increase in IoT content and publicity these past few months as great minds and thought leaders contribute insightful (and at times controversial) statements on the subject.
This topic is only getting more compelling as companies big and small dive into the IoT pond. With so many great opinions out there, I decided to compile and share my favorites. Whether you agree or oppose, don’t be afraid to tell us your opinion and share your own quotes!
1. “The IoT is big news because it ups the ante: ‘Reach out and touch somebody’ is becoming ‘reach out and touch everything’.” — Parker Trewin, Senior Director of Content and Communications, Aria Systems
2. “If you think that the internet has changed your life, think again. The IoT is about to change it all over again!” — Brendan O’Brien, Chief Architect & Co-Founder, Aria Systems
3. “IoT will stump IT until clouds and big data come aboard.” — Stephen Lawson, EMC
4. “A large portion of marketing dollars are wasted when the wrong offers are made to the wrong people at the wrong place and time… The IoT will generate an enormous, truly unprecedented amount of precise information about buyers and their needs. It’s a marketer’s dream come true.” — Jon Gettinger, Sr. Vice President of Marketing, Aria Systems
5. “The IoT is removing mundane repetitive tasks or creating things that just weren’t possible before, enabling more people to do more rewarding tasks and leaving the machines to do the repetitive jobs.” — Grant Notman, Head of Sales and Marketing, Wood & Douglas
6. “… the IoT promotes a heightened level of awareness about our world, and a platform from which to monitor the reactions to the changing conditions that said awareness exposes us to.” — Brendan O’Brien, Chief Architect & Co-Founder, Aria Systems
7. “One of the myths about the Internet of Things is that companies have all the data they need, but their real challenge is making sense of it. In reality, the cost of collecting some kinds of data remains too high, the quality of the data isn’t always good enough, and it remains difficult to integrate multiple data sources.” — Chris Murphy, Editor, Information Week
8. “The fact is, the IoT is kind of like the pony express was when it was first launched; it worked better than what we had, it underwent a lot of changes, and consumers won while business fortunes rose and fell. It’s anyone’s guess how the IoT will ultimately be used to effectively connect an unbelievably broad range of devices.” — Brian James, Senior Director of Product Marketing, Aria Systems
9. “…purchasing 10-20 different services from 10-20 different vendors using 10-20 different apps with 10-20 different user interfaces. If that’s the way IoT goes, it will be a long tough slog to Nirvana.” — Bob Harden, Principal, The Harden Group
10. “The truth is, homes change over time — and technology has to adapt, not try to do everything at once.” — Tony Fadell, Founder & CEO, Nest Labs
11. “With emerging IoT technologies collecting terabytes of personal data the question is, are we ready to unbutton our online dress shirt while many are still just loosening their collars?” — Parker Trewin, Senior Director of Content and Communications, Aria Systems
Don’t hesitate to share any quotes you’ve come across that convey the power and potential of the IoT.